Monday, October 22, 2007

Sharing Ron Paul at Church

When I go to church services, I used to wonder, "Is it correct to wear a Ron Paul button and promote the Ron Paul freedom movement?" Now my answer is a resounding "Yes!" Here's how I do it.

I figured out that if I wear a vest with various buttons on it which share messages, and include one about Ron Paul, then I am simply sharing who I am--rather than promoting a political candidate. I want to eventually have about ten buttons, many of them promoting the values of the Ron Paul Freedom Movement. Right now I just have two others--"I want to be the change I want to see happen" and "I love my neighborhood".

Yesterday when I was at a Christian church I am checking out as a possible church for me (I have attended only once before) I wore my vest. During the break where we are supposed to meet people, two people saw my Ron Paul button and said that they had heard about him, and wanted to learn more! I just happened to have Ron Paul literature in my car, and I happily shared with both of them why I wanted to support Ron Paul. I told them about how the young people are getting excited--that there really is hope for America. I wanted to support the young people in getting a president elected who would bring the troops home from Iraq and all over the war, and who would support small government and tiny taxes.

One gentleman said, "I actually talked to someone who told me about Ron Paul while we were playing poker! I also have seen bumper stickers and signs about him. Now that I have talked to you, I will definitely look him up on the internet." Another older lady who was very supportive of me the first time I attended, said, "I saw Ron Paul mentioned in the Nation Magazine." (this is a somewhat liberal magazine.) She added, "I think you and I have a lot in common." When I asked her how she knew that, she said, "We both want to make a better world."

I then attended a Unitarian Church Service. I feel equally at home in both venues--and equally uncomfortable! I just don't seem to completely fit anywhere...but I really like both Unitarian and Christian churches--especially this Christian church I just found. Anyway, I saw a fellow Ron Paul Freedom Movement friend who I had met at our local meetup. I was happy to see him and I sat next to him and his friend. After the service, I talked to his lady friend about Ron Paul. She said she was probably going to vote for Hillary Clinton--just because she was a woman. We had a great conversation--I didn't criticize her, but heard her out. I gently encouraged her to check out who she was voting for--otherwise it was better not to vote at all. (Confession: I voted for Bush the first time he ran just because I heard he was supportive of homeschooling. I did no other research.)

I also talked to two other young men about Ron Paul. Funny thing, no one at the Unitarian Church asked me about my Ron Paul button--but I'm sure they notice it since I wear it every time I go to church. I hope that my cheerful attitude and my willingness to help will be a positive reflection on the Ron Paul Freedom Movement.

Once I went to the Unitarian Church wearing a Ron Paul button on front and the back of my shirt. I decided that might be a little too extreme. I'm trying to share Ron Paul and our freedom movement in a way that casts a positive light.

I can't help but want to promote Ron Paul and the freedom movement everywhere I go. I hope that this article encourages you to share Ron Paul whenever you have a chance, and remember to wear your Ron Paul button where ever you go. You just might find some very meaningful conversations happen!

No comments: