Monday, October 22, 2007

An Environmentalist decides to enthusiastically Support Ron Paul

Here is a story from start to finish about someone who was at first almost defiantly against Ron Paul, and now is totally excited about supporting him. I hope that this description encourages you to keep talking to people who you might least expect to change their views. Also, it shows the importance of patience and willingness to answer all questions.

My friend saw my Ron Paul for President sign in front of my house. We hadn't talked since I had been supporting his campaign, and she asked me about why I was supporting Ron Paul. I told her the main reasons, and she said, "Where does he stand on global warming?" I said that he believed that with a small government that wasn't controlled by corporations people would be encouraged to take care of the environment themselves. She snapped, "I will never vote for anyone who does not have a strong stand on global warming. It is the most important issue to me." Our conversation ended because I needed to get on with some work.

One day we took a walk, and she asked a few more questions, which I patiently and enthusiastically answered. She wanted to learn more and she came to our sign making party for Ron Paul. She enjoyed the company of the people, and got a good impression. But she still had a lot of doubt.

I sponsored a "Community Gathering" where people were encouraged to come together to share a potluck meal and connect in meaningful ways. I invited my Ron Paul meetup members, hoping that some of my friends might be inspired by others besides me talking about Ron Paul. Three attended. One was Richard, who is in his fifties, and a veteran of anti-war activism during the Vietnam days. He has also supported Cindy Sheehan, who is a leader in the anti-war movement today. Richard spoke to my friend for about an hour and a half about Ron Paul. I thought it was amazing and wonderful how both of these people were so willing to engage in conversation about important matters like freedom. She wanted to be sure that if she supported him, Ron Paul was the right candidate. At age 21, she had a lot to learn about how our government has taken away our freedoms one by one, and how the powers that be control so much of our existence.

Our paths did not cross for about 3 weeks. Then I saw my friend, and after giving me a big hug, she said, "Can I get a Ron Paul sign from you so I can put it in front of my house?" I was shocked and pleased. She and her husband told me what had put them over the edge. Partly it was because of talking to people and attending a few meetings they saw that there was a real grassroots movement behind Ron Paul that was powerful. (They are not even on line!)Second, they saw something in The Rolling Stone magazine that indicated that the Rolling Stone Magazine actually supported Ron Paul. Here is a blog I found which indicated that in the past it seems like the magazine was on the fence—it is amazing how many people commented on this blog! But the most recent magazine that they saw clearly supported Ron Paul.

http://www.rollingstone.com/nationalaffairs/index.php/2007/07/17/ron-paul/

My friend also told me that she called Richard with questions and he was always willing to talk and he explained things very clearly. I was very happy that the Community Gathering provided a non-threatening environment where these two could meet. Now Richard is a good friend of mine, and visits our neighborhood, building bridges with others who aren't convinced by me to support Ron Paul.

So I am looking forward to sharing our friendship and sharing support of Ron Paul and freedom—with my friend, her husband, Richard, and all the other great people I am meeting because of the Ron Paul Freedom Movement. I am grateful to Ron Paul that he is giving us something so concrete and essential on which to work. And I am happy that the Rolling
Stone Magazine supports Ron Paul! Go Ron Paul Freedom Movement!

No comments: