Thursday, October 25, 2007

How I found out about Ron Paul

A new friend from the Tulsa Meetup group asked me how I came about supporting Ron Paul. So I thought it was time that I wrote the story--I love sharing stories!

It really started back in 1975. I had returned from traveling from Istanbul, Turkey, through Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, and Sri Lanka at age 19. I traveled alone for 13 months. The reason I went? I just got this strong message (from God, I think--even though I was agnostic at the time) that I needed to get out the educational system, and out of the United States, in order to have some kind of awakening. I did wake up. I went from having the philosophy, "If it feels good,do it," to "I want to find a way to dedicate my life to serving joyfully." I saw so much suffering, and poverty, and hardship. I realized our world was in really bad shape.

When I returned from my trip, I found my way into the Garden of Eden, where I met my former husband who introduced me to organic gardening and Quincy John Workman. Quincy John was a raw foodist who wanted to demonstrate that if we lived on the law of giving and receiving, there was enough for everyone. He also educated me about the federal reserve system, and how our debt money system was draining us dry. I could hardly understand it at first, but I just kept reading and asking questions. I learned about the Illuminati and how the bankers were running our society, I learned about how so much of what goes on is decided by people who have money and want to control us.

For the next 33 years, I did my best to focus on a positive antidote to the problem--building community. For the last 3 years my focus has been on helping neighborhoods become thriving, self-reliant communities. I didn't think our government could ever be something that was good. I was hoping that if I could just train enough community organizers who were hip to what was going on, we could quietly and without too much confrontation wake people up. I was thrilled when the movie, America: From Freedom to Fascism, became popular. I was on fire to promote it--and became the Arkansas coordinator. But then I got in a car accident and I had to slow way down. And I also realized that the movie by itself was not going to make the difference I had hoped it would. The freedom movement was not happening.

I had known about Ron Paul a few years before, but it just seemed so strange--nobody ever talked about him. When I saw him in AFTF, I was very impressed. Then, Aaron Russo, director of AFTF, threatened to run for president unless Ron Paul ran. I started really hoping Ron Paul would run. He had more of a chance, and a great track record.

Then I learned that Ron Paul was running. But I felt pretty apathetic. I didn't think he had a chance, and I decided that maybe we were just going to have to have a revolution. Then I saw a Ron Paul sign in front of a young guy's house. I was working with my husband repairing the rental unit he was living in. I asked him about his sign, and he told me that a lot of students were getting involved. He said there was a lot of excitement about his campaign.

It was very soon after that, I called my friend Joe Alexander. I asked him what he was up to, and he said he had joined the Ron Paul meetup, as did Sid Sargeant. These two friends were long time freedom fighters, and I knew that if they were involved, there was something serious happening.

Sid told me that they really needed someone to help them get organized. I found myself agreeing to attending the next meeting, and was willing to offer my services as the organizer. I wasn't really sure what I was getting into, but when I heard the passionate testimonies from young and old alike about why they were supporting Ron Paul, I was hooked! I had never seen such passion. I was also impressed with how people were willing to allow me to facilitate a meeting when I had never been there before. And, they were willing to let me be the organizer. There didn't seem to be a lot of power struggles going on. It was as if this was different--there was such a higher purpose going on, and people were really focused on the goal--elect Ron Paul.

Since then, I have been totally inspired by the people who are involved in the Ron Paul Freedom Movement. I realized that if Ron Paul were to die today, heaven forbid, that we would keep going. I realized that this is more than just electing a president. People are waking up--very quickly--because of how clear Ron Paul is. The truth is prevailing at last because the media no longer has power over us with the internet. And the meetup groups are bringing us together to get to know each other in flesh and blood, helping us to connect on a heart level as well as co-workers for the cause of freedom.

I am finally seeing people who can match or surpass my passion for making positive changes in the world. People are waking up from their apathy, and getting involved. At the latest meeting I facilitated, we got more done in one hour than I have in groups that were together for a year. We had 21 agenda items, and we found coordinators for almost all the projects. We created an organizational structure with very little discussion. I have been studying and working on meeting facilitation and organizational structure for 33 years--I really didn't do much at all--people just knew what to do and how to self-organize.

So that is how I came about supporting Ron Paul. I hope you will share your story.

No comments: